Obidos Turismo

Our Lady of Grace Gate

It is the access door on the east side of the town. In its interior there is an oratory chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Grace in the same place where another image had previously existed. Legend has it that it was offered in thanksgiving after the siege of 1246 (between King Sancho II and King Afonso III). In 1727, this oratory chapel was restored in memory of a damsel who died of love for a young boy from Óbidos. The tower was transformed in a temple and has a chancel, retable, chorus, tribune, and sacristy. The nave is not more than a street passage to the inside of the walled town.