Obidos Turismo

Saint Mary's Church

Located in Saint Mary’s Square, this church is found in the main square of the Town. Legend has it that it was founded during the Visigoth period. Later, it became a Mosque and after King Afonso Henriques’ conquest from the Moors, it became a Christian Temple once again. 

Saint Teotónio was its first prior of this church. Later, King João III endowed it his wife, Queen Catarina of Austria. It also housed a collegiate.  Queen Leonor profoundly changed the medieval temple in the end of the 15th century. Also, the bell tower was constructed during these restoration works. This church was damaged in the 1535 earthquake, but it was immediately reconstructed with the support of Queen Catarina and of prior Rodrigo Sanches. It is after these works that the temple acquired its current appearance. 

The mannerist portico (main entrance) holds an image of Our Lady of Assumption. The interior is divided in three naves and has with a painted wooden ceiling dated back to 1676. The walls are covered with blue and white tiles in from around 1680-1690.  

In the chancel, covered with blue and yellow tiles, one can find the retable (c. 1620-1622) by the painter João da Costa. In the epistle side of the altar, a retable of Saint Catherine by Josefa d’Óbidos portraying Saint Catherine’s Martyrdom and Life can be found. 

In the Gospel side of the altar, which is in a national baroque style, one can find an image of Our Lady of the Rosary, which is part of Our Lady of Grace Valley Gate. 

Also, in this same side one of the first works of art of the Portuguese Renaissance is found: the tomb of João de Noronha and his wife Isabel de Sousa. It is considered a national monument and dates back to 1529-1532. It is made from ançã stone, coming from the region of Coimbra 

Finally, one can admire in the high choir, the pipe organ from the 17th century and a set of oak wood chairs.